In this episode, we review what happened in 2020. What our plans were, how they adjusted, and how we grew closer together as a family. Learn about travel plans, weddings, eating habits, toilet paper and how we handled it.
What we thought 2020 would bring
- The year started off great with great plans for trips, weddings, and performances from the kids.
- Paige and the boys went to see The Cursed Child in San Francisco.
- Kids were in school and early morning seminary.
- It was David’s first year to go to Youth dances and they started the year off with a house full of teenagers getting ready and going to the New Year’s Eve dance. This was the first year that all three kids would be going to dances monthly. And give Paige and I some quiet time alone once a month.
- Trip to New York with our Daughter that just got home from her mission to New York. March 20. New York exploded with COVID and closed down. Broadway and an Opera at the Met were canceled.
- The year started out with great plans of an 8-week sabbatical and trips to Northern Europe in June. Canceled and sabbatical postponed
- March 13th, 2020 will be the day the pandemic really hit home for the US. Schools were canceled. All Darren’s business trips were cancelled, Pandemic Websites became the most visited website in our house. Toilet paper was in shortage, We stocked up on rice, oatmeal, canned food. And buckled down for what we thought would be 3-4 months.
- Wedding of Andy and Jacob was being planned and re-planned
What 2020 actually brought
- Adult Children came home during the pandemic. School, work,
- More time with the kids
- More family time together. Darren not traveling, kids at home not at school.
- Summer spent in the pool, on walks, playing games, reading, watched family shows together.
- Marvel movie series, DC movies, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, X-Men.
- Kids took Paige and Darren’s workspaces. Darren Moved to the bedroom. Paige’s work moved to the family room.
- Hard to balance when work ends every day for Darren since his office is now in the bedroom.
- We were eating very healthy at the beginning of the year. Losing weight for Darren. Then food became a comfort. And not the good kind of food. Lots of Cakes and cookies. Thanks Madeline.
- Less time with friends.
- Weird Travel for Jacob’s Wedding in Colorado. Masks everywhere.
- Lots of frustration and Zoom calls.
- Darren’s Family started having weekly family zoom calls.
- No in-person Church. But we started meeting outside. Until it got too cold.
- Socializing changed dramatically. We would have a weekly BBQ and pool party all summer long. Not this year.
What 2021 might bring
- In-person school
- In-person Church
- Travel, Travel, Travel. (Family Reunion, Trips to Utah, Trip to Arkansas with David, maybe to Vienna for Christmas, Hallmark movie)
- Maybe a Sabbatical
- Parties and get-togethers with our friends.
- A teenage driver in the house.
- Some quiet when the kids are in school. Back on our own schedules.
- A new Grandson. Thanks, Rachel and Russell.
Lemonade Moment of the Week
Covid and kids at home led to overeating food not good for us. Up side we started a new diet that we are already feeling good about.