In this episode find out how Darren & Paige handle the first week of having everyone home in a “Shelter in Place” order by the state of California due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Are we going to grow closer together or drive each other crazy?
Adjusting to the New Normal
- Darren is home all of the time now. He used to travel 2 days a week.
- Paige got used to Darren being home all day for a couple weeks. Intel forced work from home.
- Kids’ school is canceled and now at home all day long.
- Paige’s schedule is completely interrupted because she is focused on keeping the kids on a schedule.
- Uncertainty with the school starting an online school or not. When will school start again?
- External activities are canceled (Swim, Track).
- Dealing with the emotional strain of world uncertainty (Work, Health)
- Darren helping with kids’ online stuff adds more stress.
Setting a Schedule
- After a weekend of uncertainty and laying around trying to figure things. Waiting for the school to figure things out.
- Monday and Tuesday we had a partial schedule for Sam.
- Worked on a more set schedule for the kids when Madeline and David came on Wednesday
- Stuck to the same 2-2-5-5 schedule.
- Because the school still did not have something planned we looked online.
- We found Khan academy had a schedule and classes for each grade level.
- PE – Sam is leading us in the street in front of our house. The neighbors love it.
- Math – Khan academy
- History – Khan Academy
- Grammar and Writing – Prompts available from several sources.
- Lunch – Lunch lady with the hair net changes between Darren and Paige.
- Science – Biology on Khan Academy and Science experiments in the back yard
- Enrichment learning – Language learning with duo lingo (Japanese and German) sign language for Madeline. and practice the piano.
Tips and Tricks
- Find some time to be alone or talk with a friend
- Zoom is your friend. (Socially connect with your friends even if you cannot be with them)
- Set a schedule and stick to it. The kids do much better with a schedule.
- Get outside and walk or exercise (PE and a couple of outside activities per day)
- Shower and get dressed every day.
- Stop reading the news all day long. Find something uplifting to read. Nothing is really going to change in 3 hours.
- Find someone you can help. Get out of your own self/bubble and help someone.
- Khan academy