In this episode, Darren & Paige discuss how to resolve conflict in marriage. Sometimes things work, and sometimes they don’t. Not every resolution results in a WIN-WIN solution, sometimes it is just good enough to push the answer until later. Find out how we navigate this part of our marriage.
Finding Solutions to Differences of Opinion
- Express Views – These are not concerns, just views. What is your position
- Explore concerns – Why do you have the idea you do? And what is behind it?
- Select Mutually Satisfying Solutions
- Win-Win –
- Win-Lose –
- Lose-Lose – No one is satisfied
- putting on the shelf for another time. Agree to set it aside.
Rules for Discussing Problems
- Decide on a time and place to talk
- Stay on topic – don’t bring up other things.
- Seek to understand instead of arguing – What I hear you saying? Paige gets quiet.
- Let your spouse talk – Paige lets me talk.
- Speak softly – Ha Ha
- Take a break, if necessary – Paige typically calls for the break. While I clean the closest.
- Be kind –
- Use appropriate language – no name-calling
- Discuss current issues – No past issues.
- Do not use violence –
- Do not threaten divorce or separation –
- Seek spiritual help
- Rest and try again
- Find measurable solutions – No general statements, must be observable
- Plan the implementation of the solution
- Agree on Reminders – Nagging or a reminder
- Reevaluate and revise –
Lemonade Moment of the Week
Paige gets to go to Dollywood with her Mom. A life long dream for her Mom.