There are many studies on the adverse effects of divorce and the trials of blended families. In this episode, Darren & Paige are only looking at the “Lemonade” of blended families. That is right put on your “Rose Colored Glasses” and look at all of the benefits of a blended family. If you want all of the hard things that come with a blended family check out all of our other episodes. 🙂
For the kids
- More Christmas presents
- Two birthdays,
- Two of the holidays
- More Grandparents
- Bonus parents.
- Kids can see a better model of a relationship. If you are moved past the old baggage.
- I broader world view. More aunts and uncles, grandparents and parents.
- Kids tend to become more flexible because of conflict resolution and multiple households.
- Kids typically score higher on emotional skills: forgiveness, generosity, and negotiation.
- More siblings. Sam would be an only child 100% of the time. Not just 50%.
For the Parents
- Sometimes we don’t have the kids. Some alone time.
- Sometimes a step-parent can fill a gap in the bio-parents. My kids’ step Dad is a captain for sailing. and an Architect.
- Sometimes kids bring different perspectives or talents to the family.
- If you can move past old baggage, you can be more realistic about your relationship.
- Financial stability over a single parent. More than one source of income.
- Kids might be more honest with step-parents, be prepared to listen and take the input.
- Learning to love not just by instinct. More kids to love.
- Different world view. Blended Families include in-laws and the families are already grown up.
- We make sure we have learned from our mistakes of our first marriage.
- Teaches patience.
How to make Lemonade
- Some of our kids did not start out liking the whole blended family.
- We have to approach things and find Lemonade.
- Make a conscious effort to be part of it.
- Try and find something positive out of something really bad.
- It takes effort and flexibility.
Lemonade Moment of the Week
Darren getting older gave us an excuse to go out. But everything is locked down. Except for the drive-in.
Leave a Reply